Reconfigure Coach car #162 into an Edu-trainment Car
The Sharon Inn (Edu-trainment Car) was originally built as a 21-roomette sleeper car in January, 1949 by the Budd Company for the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR). In 1963 PRR renumbered the car to 1521 and converted it to a 64-seat coach-12 seat smoker car. In 1968 the car was transferred to Penn Central after the PRR and NYC merged. The car was transferred again to Conrail in 1976 and later sold to the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJT) in 1963 and renumbered to 5414. In 1989 the car was sold to Maryland Area Regional Commuter Rail (MARC), where it received #162. MARC also upgraded the cars seating capacity to 80. It was sold in December 2000 to Akron Metropolitan Regional Transit Authority (METRO) and subsequently leased to CVSR. METRO donated the car to CVSR on October 29, 2013.
In 2018, as part of CVSR’s Powering Ahead Capital Campaign, the former coach car underwent renovations to transform it into the Edu-trainment car, a rolling children’s museum. Renovations took more than a year to complete and it made its debut on the rails in late October 2019 on the National Park Scenic excursion. In January, 2020 the car was renumbered back to its original 8283. See below for before and after pictures of the upgrades!