Reconfigure Coach Car #161 into a multi-purpose Dining Car
Car #161 was built in 1949 by the Budd Company for the Pennsylvania Railroad as part of a fleet of 21 roomette sleeping cars. It was rebuilt in 1963 as a 76-seat coach. In 1991 it was rebuilt by Maryland Area Regional Commuter (MARC) Train Service to an 80-seat configuration. In 2000, it was owned by Akron Metro RTA and leased to Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad. Ownership was transferred from Akron Metro to CVSR as an in-kind contribution on October 29, 2013. In the spring of 2019 the car was reconfigured into a multi-purpose dining car as part of CVSR’s Powering Ahead capital campaign in support of a master plan to expand, enhance & preserve its fleet. See below for before and after photos of the upgrades!